Sonic 3D in 2D
Classification: Fan Game
To download updated versions of the game as soon as they are released, please visit: https://sotaknuck.itch.io/sonic3d2d
Sonic 3D in 2D is a fan game that launched on May 26, 2020 and reimagines Sonic 3D Blast plot and levels with style and structure closer to the games that preceded it. Explore Flicky Island in a 2D side scrolling platformer that takes elements from the other Mega Drive/Genesis games to re-forge an adventure anew. Fight new and challenging bosses, save Flicky Island and stop Robotnik’s final plan to harness the Flicky’s power for himself.Sonic 3D in 2D is a fan game that reimagines Sonic3D Blast plot and levels with style and structure closer to the games that preceeded it. Explore Flicky Island in a 2D side scrolling platformer that takes elements from the other Mega Drive/Genesis games to re-forge an adventure anew. Fight new and challenging bosses, save Flicky Island and stop Robotnik’s final plan to harness the Flicky’s power for himself.
- 15 Acts to explore in 8 Zones
- 15 Boss Battles that will put your skills to the test
- All classic shields, including the Golden Shield to use the homing attack with Sonic
- 3 Playable characters at start (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles).
- Physics close to the Mega Drive/Genesis games.
- Lots of Easter Eggs
- Unlockable Extras for more gameplay options
- Green Grove Zone: hills are alive with the sound of the Badnik’s engines. The flickies have been turned into robots and it’s up to you to blast through the Green Grove and free the Flickies!
- Rusty Ruin Zone: ancient ruins re-emerged from the sea. Make your way through the ancient traps of a long dead civilization as you keep searching for the Chaos Emeralds!
- Spring Stadium Zone: a crazy funhouse of pinball, barrels, bumpers, springs and spike traps! Hone your jumping and bumping skills to survive here!
- Diamond Dust Zone: have your snowboard handy? The snowy mountains of Flicky Island are filled with snow and ice. Watch out for explosive snowmen and uncover frozen springs to make your way through.
- Volcano Valley Zone: quite a change from the cool slopes! Leap the lava beds and use your spin dash to activate the elevators. Keep an eye out for the Fire Shield to protect yourself from the worst burns of your life.
- Gene Gadget Zone: this mixed-up mecha zone is chock full of pipes, tubes and wiring. Not to mention electrified floors, shocking fields and industrial fans that will blow you around!
- Panic Puppet Zone: looks like Robotnik hasn’t even had time to place the flickies into robots. The final confrontation is approaching!
- ???: find all of the Chaos Emeralds to know more…
Game controls are set by the user on their first launch and they will map a mega drive/genesis controller. As such the commands for each character are described with the genesis button map (arrows, A, B, C, start). Controls can be changed any time by pressing up and access the “controls” submenu in the title screen.
- Movement: Arrows
- Jump: A, B or C on the ground
- Secondary Action: A, B or C mid air after a jump
- Sonic: Insta Shield or Shield Power (depends on the active shield)
- Tails: flight or swimming
- Knuckles: gliding or climbing when against a wall
- Roll: Down when moving
- Spin Dash: Down + A, B or C when standing
- Peel Out (Sonic only): Up + A,B or C when standing
- Super Transformation: C when jumping with 7 Chaos Emeralds and at least 50 rings.
- Pause the game: Start
- F2: resets the game
Enter: Unpauses the gameNo longer as of 1.07
- Alt + Enter: Toggles Fullscreen
- Alt+ F4: Closes the game
Machine Independent Speed
Should you face heavy slowdowns in the game, try to run it using the “machine independant speed” option by following these steps:
- Make a windows shortcut to the exe of the game.
- Go into the link properties and add the /MIS1 command in the destination field after the double quotes.It should look something like this:”C:\BLAH BLAH BLAH\Sonic3D2d 1.09.exe” /MIS1
- Hit OK and start the game through that link.
Water Effect Compatibility
As of version 1.08 should you discover that the water in game looks like a large dark wall, try to run the game through a link using the command /LIGHTWATER
Re-Enable Fusion 2.5 OLD Pause System
If you experience slowdowns after the new pause system has been released, try running the game through a shortcut using the command /OLDPAUSE this will re-enable Fusion’s un-pause system. You will gain some FPS, but you’ll be forced to UNPAUSE the game by pressing ENTER.
All commands listed above can be entered in the same shortcut, separated by space (EG: /MIS1 /OLDPAUSE).
Download and unpack the zip file in a directory of choice. The archive includes xinput1_3.dll (“Microsoft Common Controller API”) required for the game to work and detect controllers.
If you’re downloading a new version, you can open the zip and take the exe into the folder of your previous installation, or extract into the same path and overwrite everything. Both the savegame and control settings will carry over automatically.
How to Install the Saturn DLC
Simply unpack the zip, and drag both the “Saturn” and the “Custom” folders into your Data\Soundtrack\ folder without overwriting the existing music.
How to Play on LINUX
Special thanks to mindbender444 for the following guide:
* Wine version: lutris-5.7-x86_64
* DXVK option off. (otherwise would crash immediately after launch)
* Use winetricks to install vcrun6. (otherwise crash after input setup)
* (optional) Set up a separate wineprefix to keep things clean.
The game works in either fullscreen or windowed mode, but it may crash after switching between full and window a few times during gameplay. Left screen with low resolution after crash. Configure -> System options -> Restore resolution on exit in Lutris settings made the original resolution return the next time it crashed. So, just be careful toggling between the screen modes.
Important Notice/Sonic Metropolis Credits
This fan game is heavily supported and frequently updated by its creator. In the event, that new updates are available, we are providing the link to the original site for everyone to be able to download updates or previous versions of the game. All information is taken directly from the author of the fan game. As of now, we are focused on providing as many mods and fan games as we can, so constantly re-uploading updates is currently not the priority. Thank you again for enjoying our site and we hope you enjoy this fan game and others as well. All credit for the info and of course the game goes to the creator and those he or she has credited.